Probate Services

Probate Services

If you need a Medallion Guarantee applied to a stock transfer form where the owner of the original stock is deceased we are able to assist. This page details what we will need and under what circumstances those needs arise do not hesitate to contact us for further information.

Grant of Probate

If the deceased person left a Will and the value of the stock is over $10,000 we will need grant of Probate issued by the Courts of the country where the deceased person was domiciled. In the UK this would be a UK Grant of Probate in other countries this could be a Certificate of Heirship. This document must be no older than six months otherwise an exemplified copy may be required (see below).

Letters of Administration

If the deceased person did not make a Will and the value of the stock is over $10,000 then Letters of Administration or the equivalent according to the domicile countries rules will be required. We can assist with application for Letters of Administration in the UK and for overseas estates we work with partners and notaries who we can recommend. As mentioned above an exemplified copy will be required if the letters of administration is older than six months.

Small Estates

If the deceased person had what is referred to as a small estate, total assets under $10,000 we may be able to deal with the medallion stamp by way of a small estates declaration. This can be created by our overseas probate department. For more information on a small estates declaration speak with our team now.

Exemplified Probate

Where a Grant of Probate or Letter of Administration is older than six months we may require an exemplified copy of the probate before we are able to apply a medallion guarantee. An exemplified copy is a reissue of the probate simply proving that the probate has not been overturned in the last six months.